Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Joy in the middle of a hard day...










Hi, Everyone,

Kate and Claire had a setback with feeding today. It was very discouraging because they had been doing so well. Claire would not take two out of seven of her bottles today. Kate only took about two ounces on one feeding and one ounce on another feeding out of her seven bottles. Both cried and arched their backs and just refused to take the bottle. I tried for well over an hour to get them to eat, and they just would not do it. And, little Gus Man is still getting breathing treatments...

When one baby has a difficult feeding session, it makes it difficult for all three babies, if that makes any sense at all. On a good day, it still takes 30 to 45 minutes or more to diaper and feed Gus, Kate and Claire. But, on a difficult day, it can take an hour and a half to two hours (they are still fed every three hours). For example, if Claire is having a difficult feeding, it could take me an hour off and on just to coax her to eat. Then, Gus and Kate have to wait longer for their bottles or for my full attention to play with them. This is because if I ever get one of the difficult feeders to take the bottle, that feeding cannot be interrupted for any reason...not another baby's cry, the phone ringing, the dogs wanting outside to play, etc.

Today, I felt that all I was able to do was to meet the basic needs of the babies (feeding, changing) and that I was not able to really nurture them by singing, playing, holding, etc. I pray for my babies daily, but on days like today, I also ask God to help me to be creative and to help me know what to do so that they will eat. I ask Him to help me find quick and creative ways to entertain Gus, Kate and Claire so that they will be happy and thrive and know that they are loved even though the day is hard...
I have a sweet friend who called me a "supermom". That was a nice compliment, but when she said this I replied, "There is no SuperMom here! But, if you see her, send her on over to my house!" :o) I'm no supermom, that's for sure, but I do know where my Strength comes from...that is why even on the hard days, when babies won't eat and they are frustrated and I am frustrated and nervous that they might starve, we still manage to find the joy. It brings Kate joy when I sing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" even though it is January...and it brings me joy when I sing it to her. It brings Claire Bear joy to be kissed right between the eyes. For a kiss between the eyes, she will flash her elusive little gummy smile. That gummy smile brings me great joy! It brings Gus joy when I say, "Hey, Mr. Gus Man," in my most gruff and playful voice. He grins from ear to ear and giggles, which, as you guessed it, makes my heart burst with joy!
I thank God that He is with me on the hard days like today. I thank God that He gives me JOY and the strength to come up with one more idea so that my babies will eat or one more idea to make my babies smile...God is so good.
I hope that your day was NOT a hard one... :o)

Love and miss you all,

Leslie



No comments: