Thursday, January 15, 2009

All about Gus...


Hi, Everyone,

Gus still has not been feeling 100%. He has been looking tired, having a flair-up with his eczema, has had an almost constant clear nasal discharge and has needed breathing treatments. Some of these issues he has had for a while, and some just started coming on gradually in December. Some kept saying, "He looks fine to me." That comment was supposed to make me feel better and it was definitely well meant. At times, that comment made me question my own judgement and observations as a mom and as a nurse. I am sure that some thought I must surely be suffering from the "this woman had a preemie and just can't accept that he is perfectly healthy, so she is inventing things to be wrong with him" syndrome. All joking aside, this really does happen to lots of parents of preemies. They get the baby or babies home and become so paranoid that something is wrong that they just can't function. I was beginning to wonder if this was what was happening to me. Anyway, I took the advice of a friend and made an appointment for Gus with an allergist. As I mentioned, I was already second guessing myself, and I almost talked myself out of taking Gus to visit the allergist. I really had to push forward and make myself keep the appointment, especially after Gus screamed from the time I popped his car seat into the Expedition until we entered the very clean, very uncluttered, very quiet allergist's office! I almost lost my nerve to walk into that waiting room with an unhappy and VERY LOUD baby. But, I decided that surely most people could relate to having an unhappy baby at some point, so I marched right on in! I received some very sympathetic glances from onlookers, but that's okay. :o) Gus quieted down as soon as I got him out of the car seat, bless his heart.

The allergist was such a nice man and was very calm and sweet with Gus. After talking with me and examining Gus, he decided to do some skin testing on him. I kind of cringed until the nurse explained that it would feel kind of like being poked with a toothpick. Gus did SO well. He rested on the table on his tummy, wearing nothing but a diaper and his adorable grin. He didn't even flinch. I sang to Gus and he rewarded me with his adorable, gummy smile while we waited for the results. The results were that he ended-up with some horrific looking red hives in one area of his back. The allergist took one look and said, "Whoa! That's NOT what I expected to see at all!!" The area on Gus' back that was such a scary, flaming, angry red was the FOOD group. Through testing, it was discovered that Gus is allergic to whole milk, casein (a milk protein), oats, wheat, eggs (the white and yolk) and peanuts (yikes). Gus was given some medication and a new formula (soy formula). Since starting Gus on soy formula, we have also discovered that he is having a reaction to that, too. So, we are starting him on one of the elemental formulas (Nutramigen). Chad has a few food intolerances, and one of our nephews (name not included for privacy since I am discussing a medical condition) suffers with two very serious food allergies.

I am so thankful for the friends who listened to me when I kept talking to them about something not being right with Gus. Because of their wise discernment, Gus is on the path to feeling better soon.

Of course, Chad and I feel horrible that we have been stuffing Gus full of food that he is allergic to. But, we had no way of knowing that until this week. We are doing the best we can! We are learning as we go!

God is so good, and Chad and I are so thankful that we are finally getting to the bottom of why our little Gus Man has been feeling so crummy.

Please keep Gus in your prayers...allergies are hard on a little body...


Love and miss you all,


Leslie


P.S. Don't dare turn your back on Gus! If you do, he will make a loud noise that sounds like he is saying, "HEYYY!!!" to get your attention again! :o) And, this picture is for Gus' honorary "Uncle" Mike and "Auntie" Jackie....we know you will like this hat! :o)











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leslie- I am glad Gus is on the road to recovery and we cover you and Chad and your little ones in our prayers. God Bless- Betsy